The American Journal of Managed Care recently published an article on the work the Pittsburgh Business Group on Health is doing around the Human Papillomavirus (HPV). During the pandemic, PBGH members were finding it difficult to get their employees to utilize preventative services. This led to the formation of the Prevention Task Force-HPV Initiative. The HPV vaccination was chosen as the focus because it offers protection around so many types of cancer.
“Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United State and costs of treating cancer are expected to exceed $240 billion by 2030. If the medical community can shift from a reactive health care model to the one that is proactive and can find and prevent these cancers earlier, that’s something we should all be moving toward.: ~ Timothy Law, Chief Medical Officer, Highmark Plan
Law offered these tips for employers looking to implement similar initiatives:
- (Plan) Size Doesn’t Matter.
- Meet People Where They Are.
- Be a Conduit to Care.
- Debunk Myths and Provide Clear Information.
- Highlight the Prevalence of HPV.
- Promote Vaccination for All, Regardless of Health Status.
- Emphasize Gender-Neutral Vaccination Recommendations.
- Focus on Age-Appropriate Vaccinations.
Read more about the initiative and the Task Force’s work in the AJMC’s article:AJP1267_Vaccines_ProfilesInCare_WEB_NoAds